Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Summer Solstice

June 21 is known as the first day of summer, and the longest day of the year. In Alaska, it seems all our summer days are long, since the sun never seems to disappear. Right now the sun is setting around 11:45 pm and rises at 4:15 am. And in between that time it's still light, believe it or not. It never gets completely dark. I really could get use to this, except that means I would have to deal with the flip side of it being dark all winter. I didn't think I had a bad first winter here in Alaska, but come February/March, my nerves and energy were shot. Those were the hardest months emotionally for Jeff and I (mostly for me, poor Jeff just had to put up with me.) Depression was definately starting to set in.
Last Saturday, Anchorage celebrated Summer Solstice and had activities going on all day downtown. Unfortunately, Jeff and I both worked the night before, so we woke up around 4 pm and were late getting to things. Chuck Liddel (UFC fighter) was here and due to us sleeping so long, I missed seeing him... I was looking forward to it. But we enjoyed walking around town, enjoyed the weather, and had a great dinner out with Meg and Terr and little Channing. Jeff and I are out to go camping again this weekend (for longer than just 24 hrs) and are excited to have Terr and Meg join us. Hopefully we come home from a successful Bear Hunt... Jeff has 3 tags we have to fill at some point in time this summer.



(I should prob mention, we love these wood carvings. they are carved with a chain saw... what amazing talent. Jeff things his mom should start doing this cuz she loves to work with tools and is super crafty and creative)
I stole this pic from someone in our ward off facebook... I never get to see the sun set cuz I work nights and my nights off I'm too lazy to get out and drive to get a decent pic at midnight.

And just a little random pics of the dogs fighting over a stupid rawhide bone... silly dogs.

1 comment:

Scott and Amanda said...

good to see that jeff is in shorts for the first day of summer. And you look super pretty in those pictures by the way.