Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Expecting.... TWINS!!!

Well now that the word is out, I can finally write our pregnancy #2 story. When Harper was 7 months old we saw our infertility Dr and decided to get Jeff back on the meds to help his numbers. Last time around it took 2 months to get so-so numbers, so we figured we would need 3 months this time. And who knows, maybe the fact that Harpers IUI round that took the first time was just a miracle. Jeff and I have said we would rather have kids closer together than further apart.
So in October we met with the Dr for our IUI. Now to remind everyone, I only take a shot to induce ovulation. (Infertility procedures are all about specific timing, I ovulate on my own but they want to induce ovulation) The dr has told me over and over that I'm very fertile and our issue with getting pregnant is only with Jeff. So my ultrasound showed 2 large eggs on my left side. (I dropped 2 eggs with Harper too) Their sizes were adequate and the dr was hopeful this was going to work again. (Jeff's count was 18 million... mind you this is after meds and a normal male count is 20-80 mil) Well 2 weeks later I tested and it was negative. Honestly, I wasn't sad.... I had a feeling the whole time it wasn't going to work. Jeff numerous times asked why we were even going through the process if I was feeling that way (mind you, none of this is cheap) But we did anyway. So the Dr said, "Let's go again."
In November we did it again. Jeff's numbers this time were 21 mil and I had 3 eggs on the right side (all measuring much larger than the previous month) 2 weeks later we tested a low and behold it was positive. (I had to exact same size eggs on the same side when we got pregnant with Harper) So we wait 2 weeks for me to go in for HCG blood levels, which you do 48 hrs apart. My first draw was normal but the second one was off the charts. The next day the Dr herself calls me (this never happens) I remember it was just before we were heading home to Utah for Christmas. she said, "Tricia, your numbers are great, in fact they are really good... how do you guys feel about twins?" hahaha, I know we both have family history of twins and I've always wanted them but to hear those words made me laugh... there was no way. She said "I just wanted to warn you, give you some time to process it and we will see you after Christmas for the ultrasound. Oh and by the way, consider this a Merry Christmas" So I immediately called Jeff and after a few laughs from him as well he said, Lets not tell anyone just in case it isn't. So we didn't.
January came and we went in for my 8 week ultrasound. Jeff and I said a prayer in the car and afterwards as we were walking up to the Dr. office Jeff says, "I just had the strongest impression that it isn't twins. God wouldn't do that to us." I actually had agreed that I wasn't feeling twins because at this point I felt great... like zero pregnancy symptoms. I thought for sure if I was having twins i'd be more hormonal or tired or peeing more....something! So I get all ready for the ultrasound and the Dr. walks in all excited and says "you ready" The second my insides showed up on the screen I saw 1 and said, "Oh good there's just 1." The Dr. laughed and said, "Oh no, there is 2 in there!" I just laughed and said "no way!" Low and behold she brought it up so you could see them side by side.... HOLY CRAP this is really happening. I looked at Jeff and he just laughed!!! The Dr said, "Tricia, I already told you. You are VERY fertile. Just be glad it isn't triplets." WHAT, triplets was a possibility? I knew I had 3 good eggs but triplets never even crossed my mind. Heartbeats of both babies looked great, both 151. So we left with our first U/S pics and the feeling of impending doom. I slapped Jeff on the shoulder as we left and said, "God wouldn't do this to huh..." Well God is very humorous and now Jeff and I had to face reality of welcoming 2 newborns... 19-20 months after Harper. WOW, 3 kids under 20 months... what have we got ourselves into.
Life went on... everyone was super excited (of course they are, it's not them in our shoes :) The time for  our second u/s with my OB was coming up (14 weeks) and I was convinced I was not having 2 boys (ok deep down I didn't want 2 boys... I mean if I have to have 2 babies at once at least give me a girl since I have all my girl stuff. 2 boys would mean more clothes that I didn't have, more money and..... I don't know what my excuses were but I kept fighting this internal battle that there was no way we were having 2 boys. Well sure enough, 2 boys it is. I should've known... ok deep down I did know. My pregnancy was completely different. Besides being tired I had NO pregnancy symptoms. I honestly felt great as long as I ate every 2-3 hours. It took me actually a few weeks to grasp and swallow the  fact that Harper might be my only girl.
Now with having twins, I don't know if we will go for a 4th baby... for fear we could have twins again (since apparently every treatment we do I drop multiple eggs) Jeff couldn't be more excited, he has his little hunter and fisher (no I told him that could NOT be their names) And I'm just grateful that I will always have my sweet princess, weather I have another girl or not I'm so grateful I have at least 1.


No comments: