Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Reindeer Farm and "Haunted" Maze

This past weekend we got all our friends together (minus Meg and Terr) to go to the "Haunted" maze at the Reindeer Farm in Palmer. We got there a little early so we could go and feed the reindeer and moose and just wander around before it got dark. On the internet, it mentioned the "Haunted" maze was not for children, that it was far too scary. Even when I called to see what times they were open the lady said she wouldn't recommend children and I told her no worries, it's date night with a bunch of adults. Well the reindeer part was fun, but the "Haunted" maze.... not so fun, and definately NOT haunted. It was a maze of hay bales, which you could look and see everything around ya. There were random people dressed up jumping out here and there, and I'll admit I screamed at least one time... but the rest of the time consisted of Jeff and the boys sneaking up on the kids that were in front of us... yes, there were kids ranging from 2-12 years old that went through it and none of them screamed or cried... so I'm sad to say that apparently Alaska doesn't know what scary or "haunted" means. But it made for a good night, lots of laughs, and lots frozen fingers and toes!!!!



So intereting fact, all reindeer (male, female, babies) have antlers. They are also the only animals that can float in water... their fur is hollow. And they can flatten their hooves in the winter so they walk on top of snow. Pretty intersting huh, and you wanna know the answer to the biggest question of all... What is the difference between Caribou and Reindeer? Reindeer fly!!!! Ha ha ha. But its true, they are the same. Caribou are just wild and Reindeer are domestic.

These big males are now steers. They have lost their man hood, thank heavens cuz it is rutting season... i don't need no reindeer charging me!!! But when they loose their man hood, they don't loose the hormones completely, causing their antlers to grow "funky"... and to be honest it looks quite discusting up close.


They were super super soft... I wouldn't mind owning some reindeer fur :)


Mac, Jeff, and Ryan decideing which reindeer to feed. We were the last tour of the day so they were getting pretty full and not very intersted in the treats we had for them.

This reindeer is Mary. Believe it or not she was born this past May and weighed 9 lbs.... so in 5 months look how much she has grown. She was super nice and would eat out of anyones hand.

Hey Moosey Moosey Moosey... this guy was in the process of dropping his antlers... too bad they can't drop at the same time, cuz he looks pretty funny right now.


I was petting this moose (seriously, how many people get to pet a Moose) when all of a sudden he snorted and I yanked my hand back it scared me so bad. Jeff of course caught it in the moment.

Jeff had no desire to pet or feed a Moose... I could barely get him to stand next to one. But here he is smiling for his wife who takes way too many pictures.

Kari and Ryan..... and Jeff trying to jump into their picture moment!!!

No one would join Jaime and I on the sled... we were with a rough crowd tonight (aka husbands) that didn't really wanna do much but walk around, I guess.

And of course, Kari, Jaime and I had to go pet the horses.... I feed tons of reindeer tonight and even a moose and none of them bit me, but the second I go to pet one of the horses it nipped at me... TWICE!!! Dang horse. I sure miss being around them but Jeff keeps promising me I will own one someday :)

And the infamous "Haunted" maze... look how scary it looks... way too scary for kids!!! Thanks Jaime, Mac, Kari and Ryan for a fun night.

No comments: