Well I've procrastinated about writing about our thanksgiving because it was so depressing... for me!! Jeff and I were originally going to go home for thanksgiving when we knew that going home for christmas wasn't an option being so close to my due date. Well then I got placed on high risk pregnancy and the DR wanted me to come in before I booked flights (appt was Nov 7). She ended up clearing me to fly but at this point flights were OUTRAGES. Neither our Delta Card or Alaska Airlines card was up for their companion ticket renewal dates until the end of the month (terrible timing) and Jeff ended up getting a side job so he wasn't able to go with me. I really didn't wanna go and leave him alone over the holidays. I battled back and forth hour by hour, day by day about what to do. But in the end I couldn't swallow the cost of flying. (and sadly, I was suppose to go home for a baby shower by my mom and sisters.. so needless to say this didn't happen) UGH!!!!
So here comes Thanksgiving Day. The last 2 years have been a big success here in Alaska, so i was hoping to have similar outcomes. I made a killer turkey last year and was so excited to cook one again. We tried to gather as many friends, ward members that didn't have dinner plans, and of course (as the past 2 years have gone) having the missionaries join us. Well It ended up just being the missionaries, the Ruggles, Jeff's home teaching companion and his son, and us. So 9 people total. We had bought a 23 lb turkey... yes it was HUGE!!! the instructions said to cook 4-4.5 hrs on 375. Well I increased the temp to 400 and cooked it almost 5 hrs. I made mashed potatoes (a massive pot), some asparagus and 2 different apple pies. Colleen did the stuffing, cranberry sauce, rolls, a cherry pie and a pumpkin dessert. Well as I was home cooking the turkey watching the Thanksgiving day parade with Jeff, enjoying our morning I noticed the oven smoking. The drippings to the turkey were leaking and causing quite a mess... well I didn't realize how big the mess was until it was time to pull it out and head over to the Ruggles for dinner. there was a massive hole in the bottom of the pan so I lost all the drippings (so no turkey gravy). Our oven caught flames, almost cuaght Jeff on fire while he was trying to lift this dang turkey out of the stove. Our house was COVERED in smoke, smoke alarm going off every 5 min... fan going on high, front door opened, kitchen window opened (no other windows would open cuz they were FROZEN SHUT which Jeff was trying to unthaw with a blow dryer so we could get more ventilation in the house. ) Mind you, it was 4 degrees outside, so having the door and windows open was MISERABLE. THEN We get to dinner and cut into the Turkey and it was still RAW in the middle!!! I was hysterical... the main dish was uncooked. We cut off what we could (the meat was still slightly pink but no one got sick:) By the time we ate the mashed potatoes were completely COLD, asapragus was crunchy and terrible tasting (it was Jeff's fav part of Thanksgiving last year so I did the dish again), I hate stuffing so I didn't eat any. I didn't eat the Turkey cuz I didn't wanna risk getting food poisoining and throwing up at 33 weeks pregnant and inducing contractions. So my meal consisted of cold mashed potatoes (with no gravy) rolls and NO PIE. Why you ask, I made 2 different apple pies. My mom had called me that morning to tell me a killer recipe she had just made that was super easy. So I did but I only wanted to make 1 pie just in case it didn't turn out and the other one I've made before so I was comfortable making it. Well i hope the pic is enough explanation as to why I didn't have pie... one was non-edible and the other I left for others to enjoy. UGH UGH UGH I pouted all day and was so upset at myself for flopping Thanksgiving dinner. And we had NO LEFTOVERS... my absolute favorite part of the meal. But whatever, everyone else said they enjoyed it (or they just choked it down to avoid causing the pregnant girl to have an emotional meltdown :)
We chilled with friends all day with anticipation of starting Black Friday that night at 8 pm. Well I fell asleep and woke up at 715 having NO desire to go shopping and neither did Jeff so we chilled home bababysitting little Rylee while Chris and Colleen went out (it was Colleen's first time so she was beyond excited to go) Needless to say, I went to bed feeling pretty crummy bout my day but I was so thankful for the people I spent it with.
Yes I did take the time to reflect about ALL my many blessings and despite a botched dinner, I'm beyond blessed and so very thankful for the life my Heavenly Father has given me. I have the most AMAZING husband in the world who loves me so much and has shown me his love through his actions and words. I have incredible parents and siblings and have been blessed with the most amazing in-laws a girl can ask for. I have 2 perfect dogs that keep me smiling daily and keep me entertained when Jeff is gone fishing, hunting and working. I have a perfect little girl growing inside of me, and despite all my complications, excessive pain, high risk pregnancy... she has maintained strong, healthy and ever so active. I have a strong testimony of the true gospel of Jesus Christ and CANNOT imagine my life without it. My list can go on and on, but bottom line is I'm thankful for MY LIFE and all the trials and hardships I have faced that have made me who I am today.
Pic: My beautiful homemade pies BEFORE...
BLACK FRIDAY
Jeff and I love this time of year because of all the traditions we have started. And we were excited to continue these traditions... until we saw all the ads and realized there was nothing we needed or really wanted this year. Preparing for a baby sure changes your mind set when it comes to wanting things :) So we opted out of waking up early and decided to sleep in and just hit stores throughout the day. We did continue our tradition of eating at Village Inn so at 9 am we headed there with the Ruggles. We then hit up the Mall (Aeropostal, Old Navy, American Eagle), Best Buy, Sportsmans, Big 5 sporting goods, Target, Lowes, and Fred Meyers. We didn't get home until 6 pm... my feet, pelvis and back were KILLING me. But we got a few things and just had an absolute blast being together. Jeff is like a kid on black friday... ever since he started going for the 1st time 2 years ago he just loves it. It was hard to say enough was enough after we kept going to store after store but I made it and it was a very successful busy day. It was different this year, cuz normally we choose a family to do Christmas for but this year our ward is just requesting gift cards to hand out. Jeff and I were kinda sad cuz we love shopping for others and we especially love making it a date night to go to the knock and run drop off. But we are just grateful for the means by which we are able to still help out another family this time of year. Jeff and I have said we will ALWAYS try to provide for another family becuase no matter our financial situation, there will always be a family who is worse off. It definately opens up the Spirit in our home and starts off the Christmas season thinking of others. I can't wait to get my kids involved doing this just like my parents did with us kids. I remember my mom having us kids go pick out a present under the tree and we would go and deliever it to another family. My dad would drive our mini van with the sliding glass door open and the inside lights unplugged so it was dark... we would take our gifts and knock and run. What a thrill and rush it was. And not once did I ever think or wonder what gift of mine did I just choose to give away.
Sadly this year I didn't get any pictures of our Black friday adventures but it still warrants blogging about :)
Oh wait I did take a pic of our new house to add to our Christmas Village (another tradition to get a new house every year)... I think this is my favorite one yet


No comments:
Post a Comment