Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, December 23, 2011

First family Christmas Cards

I love this time of year for many reasons. One of the simplest reasons is I look forward to Christmas Cards. This year we got so many cards from family and friends. We got some that I had no idea people even knew our address. So I figured before it got too late in the season I would send out our first family card (minus the dogs, Jeff didn't want them in the pic for some reason) Along with the card I sent a letter to update everyone on what a fantastic year we have had and a light highlight of what we have been up too. This will definately be a tradition that we carry on from here on out...
Hello family and friends,
Wow, where did 2011 go? It sure has been a busy year for the Harris's in Alaska. It is hard to believe that we have lived here now for 16 months, but we love it. If you ever come to Alaska, you will know what we mean. We live for the summers here. It is the most beautiful place ever from the lush green trees, beautiful ocean sunsets, waterfalls, glaciers, and TONS of wildlife. We have seen our fair share of moose, bears, bald eagles, dall sheep, and whales. And the fishing here is to die for. I have never been so excited to go fishing or to even catch the size of fish we have caught here. We had a busy summer camping every weekend and creating the best memories ever.
I have been staying busy working at both hospitals in town. It’s been hard working nights in the winter because I go 4 days straight without seeing the sun due to the fact that it comes up at 10 am and sets at 4 pm (my sleeping time!) We both have to take mega doses of Vitamin D to keep us sane. I do what I can to try to be a good house wife and have loved learning to cook new meals, especially when it comes to cooking fish. I’m still the sunbeams teacher and love all 8 kids. In fact, they are keeping me with the same kids next year which I’m very grateful for. I was fortunate enough to fly home to visit family twice this past year. I’m thankful for my husband who allows me to leave while he stays home and continues to work, go to school, and tend to the dogs.
Jeff has probably had the busiest year of his life. He has worked full time (multiple jobs from detail manager at a car wash, district manager at ADN newspaper and most recently selling security systems for APT) goes to school full time, and has been a very loving and supportive husband giving me probably more time than most wives get. He also stays busy being the 1st Counselor in the Elders Quorum presidency and even takes time to go on splits with the missionaries. And now I’m proud to say that after 16 months of some very heavy school studies, he is finally graduated, YEAH!!! He is so glad to be done and looks forward to not only having a steady job, but starting his career as an Air Traffic Controller. He took his ATSAT test a few months ago and blew it away, passing with a 97.1 %. I couldn’t be more proud of him.
So what’s next for us? Jeff will put in for 2 states he wants to work at (we will put in for Alaska and Utah). We could wait up to a year to hear where he gets hired, but once he is hired he heads to Oklahoma City for 3 months of intense training and then starts 3 years of on the job training. We wouldn’t mind staying in Alaska another 3 -4 years, as long as our families continue to come visit or I get to continue to fly home a few times a year. Jeff was offered a job teaching ATC labs here at UAA and he will continue to sell security systems on the side. I will continue to work both jobs and do my best to support my husband and his busy year ahead.
We really have been so blessed and are so fortunate to have such amazing family and friends. Moving to Alaska was a huge step but we definitely know we made the right decision and love where our lives are headed. We thank each and every one of you for your love, support and prayers. And we would love to have many more visitors. Consider this your official invite to Alaska; we have a spare room just waiting for anyone to come visit.
We want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. We pray that the spirit of Christ is in your home and that we don’t forget the true meaning of Christmas.
Love, Jeff and Tricia Harris