Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, August 14, 2010

26 Glacier Cruise

Well we enjoyed our first adventure together today. We went on a one day cruise just and hour and a half from Anchorage up into Prince William Sound. It was so amazing... and not too cold unless we were up on the deck while the ship was moving at full speed. We drove through a 2.5 mile tunnel (longest in the northen US) walked around a town called Whittier and then boarded the Klondike Express, the largest Catamaran Ship in Alaska. We were hoping to see a few whales but apparently not the time of year I guess. But we did see plenty of sea lions, sea otters, bald eagles and even ran with some Dall Porpoises(small dolphins). The glaciers were phenominal, some descending with global warming and a few still growing in size and depth. We even got to see one "calve" meaning shedding of ice and tumbling to the ocean creating a thunder sound. They also fed us a great meal, fresh baked warm cookies and lots of hot chocolate. Overall a wonderful day.
This is what I get to see everyday if I wanted. This view is 5 min from my house. I love living so close to the ocean, too bad it doesn't have the kind of beaches I want, oh and the sunny tanning weather. But still beautiful, oh and this was the first blue sky day in 28 days. Anchorage just broke the record for 27 days of straight rain, glad we weren't here the whole time, what a glummy summer.
Entering the one way tunnel to Whittier.


On the upper deck of the ship, very windy and cold. Only stood out there for a pick!!!

Watched these fisherman reel in there Salmon Catch, they did pretty darn well if you ask me. I would never want there job, at sea everday, FREEZING!!!

Just the different kinds of glaciers, not going to go into detail about them all. But bottom line is they are hundreds to thousands of years old. And no, none of what you see is recent snow, it's all glacier masses.


This is one of my favorite pics I took, just shows how green the trees are here from the rain and the bluish water from the glaciers melting.

The black that you see just above the water line is an actual glacier, its called Dirty Glacier. How crazy huh??? This glacier isn't descending or ascending in growth. It is one of the only stagnant glaciers so all it does it collects dirt.



Running with the porpoises, they were so cool to watch, just hard to catch a pic.

See all the white against the mountain... a bird rookery! Imagine all that bird poop, ha ha! I stayed in the ship for this site.


On our way home we stopped by a wildlife preserve hoping to see my first Bull Moose, but no such luck. Saw more bison, Elk, first Grizzly bear (in Alaska), and a Caribou shedding his velvet.


This is what I came home too... leaving 2 puppies for 10 hrs in a bathroom will always give ya a mess, luckily it was just toilet paper. Glad to see they could hold their bodily fluids to when we got home and could take them outside. We really do have the worlds most behaved dogs ever!!!

2 comments:

Diana said...

I am saving all of my sacajaweas so I can come stay with you guys. I don't know how Mom and Scotty are getting there. Probably next summer. Love you guys Dad Harris

*Clint & Rach Talbot* said...

Ok WE ARE ON OUR WAY!!!..I SOOO bad have wanted to visit Alaska, it's part of my bucket list so I have loved watching your posts and getting SO jealous of that beautiful place. Clints mom works for Sky West so we just need to schedule a couple buddy passes and come visit. Seriously though...we should. I want to surprise Clint and do it...that would be SOOO fun!