Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day 3, So glad it's over with...

Well Day 3 started off pretty good and ended TERRIBLE. To start off we went 565 miles in 12 hrs. We slept in and hit the road around 10 am. Canada kills you on gas and hotels, gas for 1 L (metric system) was 1.21 making it 4.84/gal with a truck that holds 24 gal totaling $116 every 3 hrs, YIKES!!! it sucks having a truck and trailer at this point, how the heck Canadians can afford it is besides me. Canada continues to amaze me with how beautiful it is with lakes around every corner. So I started to take pics of all the wierd signs along the highway, some very cool with great outcomes, others you can use your imagination to guess what it means...


Wild horse sign... didn't see some til day 4 but when Jeff did his bear hunt in Canada, he saw them everywhere

So the first 4-5 hrs of our day was pretty much the same, just the long treterous Alaskan Highway and the green scenery. Mid day at the highest peak on the Alaskan Highway we watched an amazing lightening storm... 5 min later we were in this not so amazing storm, lightening striking all around us and thunder shaking the whole truck and the road we drove on. The rain came down so fast we could see NOTHING. I wanted Jeff to pull over but that would put us in major danger with other drivers. I just knew we were going to get hit head on with a diesel or plumage into a dang Moose or something. I was crying, dogs whinning and shaking, and Jeff white knuckles on the steering wheel with head as close to the windshield as he could get trying to see. It ended within 10 min and I just prayed for all the motorcyclists headed southbound that they would be safe. (The comment my dad made to me before I left town just wouldn't leave my head, "Trish be careful, people die on long trips like this!" Thanks Dad!) Jeff even admitted this was worse than he has ever seen. Then the skies cleared up and were blue the rest the trip.
We saw some amazing wild life though, some pretty expected, others by complete awe and amazement.

Stone sheep off the highway. They were beautiful, and we spotted tons across the way up on the rocky cliffs

Caribou crossing... these signs were everywhere and we almost missed our only chance to see one alive cuz I was too busy taking pics of the river and Jeff about clipped him with my rear view mirror. We got so close I could've petted him

This water was so blue this pic doesn't do it justice. It is straight glacier runoff water making it clear, gorgeous and I can only imagine freezing "A" cold


By the end of the day, we saw at least a hundred buffalo, some traveling in groups blocking the highway and some traveling alone along the side of the road. What amazing animals. They are so calm and easy going but lazy as ever


Had to capture this.. the dogs would growl at them but after seeing so many they just enjoyed it as much as we did

So do you think this signs means we saw a Bear? I know I'll be seeing many in Alaska, but not in British Columbia? Oh but while we were looking for Buffalo, across the creek we spotted one, a beautiful Black Bear walking through the brush. It was amazing to watch it for a little bit before it disappered in the trees

Hello Yukon Territory and good bye. You were boring ugly and had no excitment. All your hotels were full and gas stations were way too far apart. Your smokey filled skies from a fire burned my eyes and was miserable to drive in. My only smile was for this pic and the fact that driving through you was a must to reach our final destination.

The prettiest part of the YT was this... Mucho Lake. Soooo calm, flat and clear. Too bad the smoke filled skies ruined the beauty.

This is how we ended our day... worst experience ever!!! After having every hotel/motel full we drove up the road to this place... full of bugs, spiders, and dead moths in the sheets. No keys to the doors, they are left wide open in the day but being rainy cold and way too late to drive on the highway we had no choice. Luckily I had sheets in the truck we through on the bed. I just cried myself to sleep I was so uncomfortable and extremely tired from way too much driving.

No comments: